 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2250
Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:10:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Maggie Cambron wrote:

   Dave! Want MegaBlok anecdotes? Here are a couple:

After Christmas I got an Alien Agency Mobile Recovery Unit on clearance and gave it to my 8 year-old. He found it very frustrating because the garbage truck would not stay together but fell apart at the slightest touch. (And this kid has experience with bricks-- he is a far better builder than anyone in our family).

Bummer! I have that set and didn’t notice any problem with clutch power. The vehicle has fold-away walls so that the garbage truck can “transform” into a mobile lab, and the wall panels don’t hold together too rigidly, but I’ve been satisfied with the binding strength of the basic bricks.

   A few weeks ago my just turned 11 year old built 9705 Street Rod from a lot of LEGO I had acquired. He says it came apart easier than a LEGO model as he was building it, but it held together well once it was completed and he liked this set.

This critique is especially useful because one of the common complaints I’ve heard RE: MEGABLOKS is that the sets don’t stay together well during assembly. Obviously that’s a gray area, and one’s mileage may vary, but I’ve never quite understood why a half-built model should be judged in terms of completed-model stability? If it stays together upon completion, then that’s a success, IMO.

   Just last week I told this same kid he could have all the 9157 Extreme Sports Skatepark pieces he could find from various LEGO lots (we found *four* copies of the instruction book, so I figured he could build this huge park). Unfortunately he didn’t even complete the basic model because he too became frustrated with the tendency of the pieces to fall apart. In the end he just asked if he could have the chrome bikes for his LEGO town.

Interesting. Maybe a general comment that can be made about MEGABLOKS is that they require more force to bind two pieces together than would analogous LEGO pieces. I guess I’ve gotten used to that over the years, but I suppose it would be understandably off-putting to someone accustomed to LEGO.

   There you have it Dave!

I asked, and I have received. Thanks for the feedback!

Dave!