 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2253
Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:06:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:

   This critique is especially useful because one of the common complaints I’ve heard RE: MEGABLOKS is that the sets don’t stay together well during assembly. Obviously that’s a gray area, and one’s mileage may vary, but I’ve never quite understood why a half-built model should be judged in terms of completed-model stability? If it stays together upon completion, then that’s a success, IMO.

It needs to stay together the whole way. If it crumbles in my hands while I am assembling it, using reasonable assembly operations (turning, picking it up, etc) then it doesn’t matter whether or not it would putatively be sturdy once I got it together, it’s a failure.

I can accept that criterion, but if it’s a scene-style building set, such as this one, then obviously (to me) only a limited amount of turning/picking-up can be expected to be tolerated, during assembly or after. I’ve had good success with the ProBuilder line, with the exception of this set, which seemed to fall apart before, during, and after construction, so I’ll cede that one.

Perhaps I could be more precise and mention that, if the model holds together well enough to survive the building process, then that qualifies as sturdy enough for me, at least during the building process. How well it fares upon completion is another matter, but I’ve been generally pretty fortunate overall.

   Lately there have been LEGO sets that have this issue as well as MB sets, and it’s on the increase but it’s not yet as bad as MB. (don’t make me trot out my submarine story again)

I hate that story almost as much as your roller-coaster-finger story. I regret that I haven’t yet shelled out the $40.00 for the Sea Wolf, but it doesn’t appear to have enough new pieces for me to justify the purchase at this time.

Dave!