 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2257
Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 21:07:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
   That reminds me...

Years ago I purchased a Syquest EZ-Drive with 1GB storage discs. A friend decried them as an unworthy product, saying that I could lose a ton of data if I happened to drop or step on or otherwise damage the disc.

Heh. Most storage devices will lose you a bunch of data if you damage them, but the question is how easy it is to do so. My favorite anecdote on that was how about two years ago some company was running radio ads pushing their ZIP drives, claiming that CDs were unsafe media storage devices because they can be easily scratched. Now, I don’t know about you, but I think I’d have an easier time tracking down a kit to repair a CD that’s been scuffed up a little than to repair a ZIP disk that’s been set on a powerful magnet...

   I said “poo-poo.” The inability of the user to avoid damaging the device is not the fault of the device. However, I can now see that, if I had put a lot of important eggs in that magnetic storage basket, I could indeed have lost a lot of important stuff. It still wouldn’t be the fault of the product, exactly, but it would be an annoying (and possibly costly) inconvenience to me.

Every buyer has to decide how much they value quality vs the cost of paying for it. Some people always opt for quality, others always opt for economy, and the rest of us pick and choose based on a case-by-case basis. If a buyer misguesses how much abuse their chosen product will need to withstand, the buyer’s at fault for choosing a low-quality product; if the product line fails to live up to promised quality standards, the manufacturer is at fault for misrepresenting their product; but the product is only really at fault if it fails to live up to the standard level of quality exhibited by other copies of the same product, and also fails to live up to promised quality levels (if they only promise 20 units of protection on a device that generally managed to provide 50 units of protection, you don’t have a legitimate gripe if yours only provides 21 units).

   I guess that’s similar to what you’re describing. If you’re worried about what will happen to your half-completed model when you drop it, then don’t drop it. (Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this...) Accidents happen, yes, but that’s not the fault of MEGABLOKS. I don’t have a lot of LEGO sets that would hold together mid-build if I dropped them to the floor, either.

I was actually referring to fully built models, on that one. If it’s not very stable when it’s half-built, dropping it might cause those few key pieces that make it “stable” to pop loose, and take the rest of the parts with them. Yeah, most official LEGO models won’t take a table-height fall without at least a few pieces popping off (and the larger they get, the more catastrophic the result will probably be), but it’s nice if the bulk of the structure manages to stay in large chunks so it doesn’t require a full rebuild.

   Not sure if I understand this one. Do mean that official models might include some not-immediately-apparent keystone that a builder might not think to include in a MOC?

That, or they might not know how to include one even if they want to. If you can’t identify the keystone pieces in an official model, how can you tell if you successfully included any in your own design?