 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2252
Re: Trademark defense doesn't work vs Mega Bloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:48:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:

   This critique is especially useful because one of the common complaints I’ve heard RE: MEGABLOKS is that the sets don’t stay together well during assembly. Obviously that’s a gray area, and one’s mileage may vary, but I’ve never quite understood why a half-built model should be judged in terms of completed-model stability? If it stays together upon completion, then that’s a success, IMO.

It needs to stay together the whole way. If it crumbles in my hands while I am assembling it, using reasonable assembly operations (turning, picking it up, etc) then it doesn’t matter whether or not it would putatively be sturdy once I got it together, it’s a failure.

I can tolerate some of this when I am buying custom kits (although I strive hard to design as much of that out of mine as possible) but I expect better from a big company.

Lately there have been LEGO sets that have this issue as well as MB sets, and it’s on the increase but it’s not yet as bad as MB. (don’t make me trot out my submarine story again)