 General / 4718
Re: Digital Photography
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:19:35 GMT

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experiences to compare with
using a video camera vs a digital camera? I am thinking of spending
about $500. Macro capability is very important for me.

You've got a few options:

1.  Get your film processed onto disk, CD-ROM, or the Kodak Net.  I'm sure
Kodak's web site has more info, or go down to your local Kodak film
developing drop off (not the instore developer) and inquire.  Pros:  cheap.
Cons:  have to wait till you develop a whole roll of film and don't know if
the pictures are any good for a few days.

2.  Get a camcorder adapter.  Pros:  moderately cheap ~$100.  Cons:  Picture
quality (at least what I've seen on a Snappy) is not so good.  Look at a
freeze frame on your VCR, also it will be more bulky than a still camera.

3.  Get a digital camera.  I picked one up for my wife when our first child
was born so we could e-mail my in-laws (who are 3000 miles away) daily.
There are tons of things to consider so do your homework.  The Mavica is
nice because it uses a standard 3 1/2" floppy for media, the Fuji I have
uses smart flash media which is much smaller and can hold more (up to 16MB).
Fuji and others now have a smart flash floppy adaptor to combat the Mavica.
Pros:  The ultimate in flexibility.  Cons:  Expensive $200 ~ $700.

If you stay in touch with distant family and friends via the net, and you
have the budget, then #3 is the way to go.

-Rob.