 General / 45223
Re: WorldLUG into public domain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:23:58 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Derek Schin wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Jon Palmer wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Paul Hartzog wrote:
   howD all,

(snip)

Bearing in mind that I adore LUGNET, I think this post and this way of thinking is extremely important for the future of our community. All developers within ear shot should think about it. I’m barely a graphic designer but I would pitch in if it was called for.

I agree with Jon here. LUGNET is a good thing, it allows us to discuss serious aspects of our hobby with other like-minded folks, but its time to start looking ahead to integrating all of the wonderful community resources out there in a cooperative spirit. By integrating the various online LEGO resources, sites and services will become easier to find and use - and the benefit of participating in the online community will become clearer to lurkers and newbies, creating a more vibrant and diverse community.

Its time to take forward steps for the sake of the hobby.

-Tim

Hmm, I don’t know, guys. I see a lot of the above mission either already being taken care of by LUGNET, or being something that LUGNET could grow into.

However, I do love the idea of a single point of entry for newbies...Eight or ten years ago (oh, I’m old...) that entry point was rec.toys.lego, but now, things are so big that while LUGNET is the closest thing to a beginning point, there’s really a huge number of resources out there to be exploited.

LUGNET leaves a lot to be desired as a single point of entry, I think. It’s confusing to navigate - especially for newbies, and doesn’t do a good job of linking out to other sites from obvious places - ie guide.lugnet.com/shop doesn’t even mention BrickLink.

You’re right, Tim... I don’t think there can be any single point of entry for people to discover the LEGO fan community online. There’s too much, and it’s too diverse. From the description I’ve read here, WorldLUG actually seems like a way to turn a zillion points of entry into a more organized way for newbies (as well as experienced AFOLs) to zoom in to what interests them. It sounds like glue loosely binding the online LEGO fan community. Regardless of how popular any one site is, a more structured method of steering traffic to and from each individual resource could only be a good thing for everyone. There are undoubtedly a lot of people who would find value in LUGNET who’ve never heard of it.

   So while I see a beautiful opportunity here, I think it might be best established within the LUGNET framework that’s already in place instead of propping up an entirely new organization and structure. That’s because I’m not sure that the long term benefits of a separate umbrella organization would outweigh all of the work required to put it in place.

But that would limit it to people who are already familiar with LUGNET, and not reach out to others who aren’t familiar with this site.

   I think a key problem here is the ‘umbrella’ paradigm. Don’t think of an umbrella, think of a foundation. We should have ourselves a common starting point, and *encourage* people to build out from there. I don’t think the LUGNET website by nature encourages that - but it would be a very good thing if it did.

My feeling is that new people will come in through any of the bajillion LEGO-themed fan sites available, and this could be a way to help guide them through the myriad levels of interests and specialty sites.

Kelly