 General / 45191
Re: WorldLUG into public domain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 04:40:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Paul Hartzog wrote:
   howD all,
a couple of things have precipitated this post:
1) my domain name of WorldLUG is expiring soon
2) due to my being in graduate school I will have no time to implement WorldLUG
3) I believe in cooperation over competition and open-access over proprietary development

So, I’m putting WorldLUG into the public domain for anyone who wants to develop it. I’d love to stay involved as a creative thinker if possible. What follows here is our original scope document. The point of WorldLUG was not to implement these features ourselves, but rather to establish some community protocols (XML, SOAP, etc) by which all of our favorite sites (Lugnet, Bricklink, Brickshelf, Peeron, etc.) could be interactive with each other, each adding their own features to the community whole. WorldLUG would be the portal to unite the community cooperatively.

This sounds pretty interesting. You mention that a lot of it is coded - do you have a description of what’s already created, such as specifications, proof of concept code, features, programming language(s) used, etc.? I’d like to follow this, even if I’m far too overwhelmed with other work to be an active participant at this time.

I certainly hope you get some people to step up and continue what sounds like a very intriguing project.

Good luck,
Kelly