 General / 45207
Re: WorldLUG into public domain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:28:27 GMT

Hi Paul,

thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts about a future “umbrella” covering all the community ressources available on the web these days. Some times ago I had a similar discussion with Jake form LEGO Direct.

I want to highlight two aspects of the whole idea:

1. easy access to all community web ressources for newbies

2. easy access to all community web ressources for non-english native speakers

Even if my English is fine to post on lugnet or read other discussions or private LEGO websites, I still find it difficult to get into new things, e.g. how to be able to post at lugnet? How to use bricklink? How can I transfer money form Germany to the US? How to implement the whole LDraw things on my private computer to make them run?

The WorldLUG might have - and should realise the chance to answer all these questions. I am not a computer programmer, but I work as a technical writer and I might offer my knowledge and work to achieve these ideas. Especially the international aspect is a challenge. If the user hits WorldLUG (who found the link on www.lego.com ???) he/she should be able to choose his/her language as first step. So WorldLUG might give an understandable overview about all the countless issues. And if the design is simple, it might be easy to ask AFOLs to help to translate the core texts of WorldLUG.

Anyway, sounds all like lots of work. But please be aware of the non-english native speaker who really would like to use the lugnet set-guide but only don’t know how to type in the right search-words. Or another example: Parts ref - you really need to know how the part is called in English. www.1000steine.de provides a German based database to find out the parts. If I find the part nummber there it’s easier for me to use www.peeron.com for further research.

Keep on sharing ideas!

Kind regards form Germany

Holger

http://www.holgermatthes.de/bricks