 General / 44471
Re: Hobby Show thoughts and afterthoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:27:53 GMT

In lugnet.events, Allan Bedford wrote:
It's been a few weeks since the The Hobby Show in Toronto:

http://news.lugnet.com/events/?n=1026

And I'm curious to know what you think now that some time has passed.

The 'you' I'm hoping to hear from is anyone who was a booth participant, anyone
who came by to visit, anyone who wanted to attend but couldn't, or anyone else
with a thought to share.

I'm just wondering (in no particular order):

- Did you enjoy doing a show like this?

Yep!

- Was it more/less work than you had anticipated?

We've set up at a few train shows now--seems to get easier with every set-up.
Yes Calum is right about the modules being differing heights and all, but
overall, the train layout looked good.

The other tables never looked empty, which was also nice, and, besides Derek and
Jacub, the teardowns looked relatively simple--put in box and walk out :)

- Now that it has happened once, are you more likely to attend a future show?

Count me in.

- What was good about the booth?

Met new AFOL's (and wives of AFOL's--there's hope for me yet!)

- What was wrong with the booth?

Chris wasn't there.  Well, he was there but not much.

- Did we have too much table space?  Too little?

Perfect amount, as stated above.

- Is it worth doing this show again next year?

Absolutely

- If we did attempt this again next year, what needs to change and what needs to
stay the same?

We as a collective rtlToronto unit, should endeavour to get a little more
organized.  Knowing that's not going to happen (cause I'm the laziest of the
bunch, and the rest, well...) eh, it'll be pretty much the same :)

- Did the 'mailing list' idea work?  Did those who wanted information get what
you were expecting?

Info was good.  Next year I'll read it.

- Did the 'Can-Brick Builders' name/concept work?  Or was it just too confusing
to explain to people who these people were?  Should it have been called
rtlToronto++ or some other name that would have better indicated who was
participating?

If rtlToronto 'ran' the event, it should be called 'rtlToronto'.  Since
rtlToronto didn't run the event, the booth organizer can call it whatever he or
she desires.  "LEGO booth" has a good ring to it :)

- If you decided not to attend (for whatever reason) what might entice you to
attend a future show?

Was there, will attend again.  Next time hitting up someone to crash at their
house--taht 45-1 hr every morning and every night was a tad tiring.

And, of course, any other thoughts or suggestions you may have.

Insert blank thought here--status quo for Dave

I'm not really trying to start a discussion about next year's Hobby Show, but
rather to take a look at this year's show and see how everyone feels about our
accomplishment.  I'm not expecting everyone to answer every question, but
perhaps you can share your thoughts on those topics that you feel strongly
about.

You did well, Allan.  It was much fun.  The organization of the Meccano guys was
astounding.  That would be ice for us but I don't think it's gonna happen.

I do like the booth along the wall, instead of open on all sides, cause then
there's no one behind you.  The layout was good for what it was--the empty
square was for the 'play on' bricks but that didn't happen.  Next time put that
corner at the front, but that's semantics to be worked out for next year.

Glad no one was upset over the layout changes --ie-train track thru the rest of
the tables--everyone got along and enjoyed the company of the other AFOL's.

Thanks in advance!
Allan B.

Dave K