 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10081
Re: Hobby Show thoughts and afterthoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:16:18 GMT

In lugnet.events, Allan Bedford wrote:
- Did you enjoy doing a show like this?

It was okay.

- Was it more/less work than you had anticipated?

More.  About on par of time dedication to NMRA.  Defintely more work than your
typical rtlToronto event.

This is good to know, since it is based on experience(s) I don't have.

- Now that it has happened once, are you more likely to attend a future show?

Now that we know the definition of such an event, it gives me a better
understanding of the Hobby Show.

A positive understanding?  :)

- What was good about the booth?

It showed a lot of different creations, which was nice.

That was my favorite part.  We had a full range of model themes represented.
From trains, to sculpture, from castle to Technic models and beyond.

- What was wrong with the booth?

Too widespread.   As much as it's nice to have folding chairs in the areas, I think it visually detracts from the power of the booth.

I agree.  The layout was less than ideal.

- Did we have too much table space?  Too little?

See above.  I think we had enough table space, but too much physical space.

Agree.

- Is it worth doing this show again next year?

Uh, that's sort of your call.

I think that's true of this first show.  You and Chris were right in pointing
out that I just had to go forward with it and see who showed up.  We did that.

Now I think that it becomes more of a group activity.  I'm not sure I have the
wherewithal to do that much organization next year.  Thankfully, I've already
had an offer to share this task.

But I'm curious to know (from other people's perspective) if they see value in
doing it again.  Just for us?  Just for the fun of gathering and displaying and
talking LEGO?  To help promote the adult LEGO hobby?  To win more awards?  ;)

- If we did attempt this again next year, what needs to change and what

I think this is the first attempt at building a true Lego hobby community in
Southern Ontario.  What was more surprising and encouraging were builders like
Derek, Jacub etc who we (well, we as in rtlToronto) don't hear from.

And I would hope to build on that idea.  It can easily be said that rtlToronto's
contribution was huge.  And then it is also true that there was lots of room
(and would be in the future) for contributions from folks outside of that group.

- Did the 'mailing list' idea work?  Did those who wanted information get

It was good to have regular updates--although sometimes the emails should have
had details like maps, locations etc.  People are stupid and often need spoon
feeding.

I guess I never thought to include certain things because.... no one asked!  I
tried to address any questions/concerns that people had, but to be honest, not
one person ever emailed me to ask where the show was.  I guess they all knew.
:)

to explain to people who these people were?  Should it have been called
rtlToronto++ or some other name that would have better indicated who was
participating?

No, if rtlToronto really wanted to make it our event, we would do our own.  I
think CanBrick Builders sums it up quite nicely.

I agree, but wanted to see what others thought.

accomplishment.  I'm not expecting everyone to answer every question, but
perhaps you can share your thoughts on those topics that you feel strongly
about.

I think accomplishment is a good word-it is a major accomplishment to organize a
show like this.  I think the event should really be a showcase of models by
individuals, but the question is, will there be more individuals coming out
showing off stuff?

That's what this thread might tell us.  I'm hoping that without specifically
planning for next year we can begin to gauge interest in doing the booth again.

The other thing is, do you want to consider Lego a hobby?    After seeing the
(ahem) erotic dragon woman art next door and the tawdry BugnBots (Oh god I hate
them) display, do you really want to be associated with that?

I guess I was too busy to notice dragons or other oddities.  I did think it was
cool that we were so close to the Meccano booth, and in the same section as the
model train folks.  Being next to the Rent-an-RC-Car track was something I won't
soon do again.  My head was spinning for a week from the sound of those
souped-up mini cars zooming at my tower.  ;)

Thanks for your comments Calum!

Allan B.