 General / 44203
Re: Changes to Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:37:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch wrote:

   First and last names are not collected or displayed due to privacy concerns.

What privacy concerns? I’ve got nothing to hide. Quite the contrary in fact. I want people to see my name next to my mocs.

   Also, in the unlikely event that someone under 13 uses the site we want t o comply with US privacy laws. There is nothing to stop a use from uploading a text file with their personal information or including their real name in a folder description for easier searching.

There’s nothing stopping people who are concerned about privacy from using a pseudonym either. This seems to be a solution looking for a problem.

I am curious how merely storing and displaying a name can cause privacy concerns though.

   There is also nothing to stop someone form including elements of their real name in their username.

Fair enough. How do I go about changing my username? Also, short of spending several hours of my life wrangling brickshelf’s cumbersom interface with copious amounts of deleting and re-uploading pictures, how do I go about moving all my pictures into a new subfolder with my name in the title? Would it be possible to get some sort of drag and drop interface happening?

In the meantime, may I suggest that anyone who hasn’t done so to include a link to your brickshelf folder on your lugnet member page, so at least a search my name can be made indirectly.

Cheers,

Allister