 General / 43991
  Changes to Brickshelf?

I've noticed some changes at BrickShelf recently - namely how searches are done. Specifically, the 'search by lastname' function has been replaced by 'search by username.' Why does this bother me? Well, because I know people by their NAMES not their (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general) !

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) Hey you're right. No wonder the search I tried yesterday yielded no results. I didn't notice that change. And yes, it's not exactly increasing usability. I liked the people search feature, but I never make a note of usernames. It was annoying (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) I agree, on the surface, this looks like a crummy change. Perhaps if both were available at the same time, it would be better. Hey, that sounds familiar ... (...) Yes, I agree, this is frustrating. -Tim (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) Kevin explains the poll here: (URL) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) Lenny, this dramatic change to Brickshelf is far more impacting than any of the other issues going on right now. It is horrid to not know who is making the MOCs that we are looking at. I'm the first in line to thank Kevin for all his work, but (...) (21 years ago, 23-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) First and last names are not collected or displayed due to privacy concerns. Also, in the unlikely event that someone under 13 uses the site we want t o comply with US privacy laws. There is nothing to stop a use from uploading a text file (...) (21 years ago, 24-Nov-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) All good and reasonable. But you didn't answer the (implied) question... Is this a change or are many of us misremembering? I *seem* to remember being able to put "pien" into the entry field displayed when you clicked on "search members" from (...) (21 years ago, 24-Nov-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

No it's definitely a change. I used to search for people always by name and now I can't. I can't even tell who's stuff I'm looking at in the recent folders. It's really tough to connect people to thier username too. The whole thing is sort of (...) (21 years ago, 24-Nov-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) No, you're correct Lar, it is definitely a change. Oh well, score one more for The Red Tape. ROSCO (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) What privacy concerns? I've got nothing to hide. Quite the contrary in fact. I want people to see my name next to my mocs. (...) There's nothing stopping people who are concerned about privacy from using a pseudonym either. This seems to be a (...) (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) Correct me if I'm wrong, but for someone who is paying nothing to use a service that would normally require a monthly fee, you're an awfully demanding user... And I assume that you are unaware of the difficulties associated with web (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) You are. (...) I demand nothing. I was merely asking questions how to work around the change. Can you answer my questions? Allister (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) I find it very boring and frustrating, I don't know exact the member username and sometimes 2 usernames are very similar... (...) International Privacy laws (...) You have to ask it to the webmaster. (If you can contact it!) (...) If everybody (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) Demanding? Kevin said this: "There is also nothing to stop someone form including elements of their real name in their username." as a solution to the problem of usernames instead of real names. Logically, the next question is : how do I (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

Luca Giannitti wrote in message ... (...) TITLE, (...) "search" (...) There are three fields to fill in when you create a new folder: Name, Description and Keywords. After multiple error messages (getting more irritated every time because the (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) Which law exactly? I'm curious why simply displaying a person's real name is somehow illegal, especially considering that Lugnet {insists} on members using their real names. I'm also curious as to how Kevin's suggested solution is any less a (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Changes to Brickshelf?

(...) The Brickshelf.com Privacy Policy URL: (URL) (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.general)