 General / 42317
Re: BZP hits 7,000th member-Lugnet is lagging behind.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 13:43:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   “I was thinking that Lugnet should make a few changes which would improve posting and membership.”
Don’t forget to look at the title of this thread... “BZP hits 7,000th member-Lugnet is lagging behind.” Which indicates a sort of compitition.

I know that the topic of Lugnet member posts is a very old, beat up topic, but I guess we might as well refresh it here.

The purpose of the email-posting gig is security. Anybody can just hack your computer, type a post and click the send button. But they (hopefully) can’t access their email.

The Lugnet membership allows you to create more definate ‘sessions-’ the admin knows it has to be you and you can post without fear.

I remember that a few years back, there were a few cases of identity-hacking, but it’ll probably take a lot of time to dig it up. Identity hacking is a much bigger problem on Lugnet then on other places, because the hacker actually takes up the identity of a real name, that belongs to a real person, not just a silly little sig-name. And many of the people here on Lugnet are involved personally in meetings and such- you can’t have hackers doing this kind of stuff.

The owners of Lugnet could of just opted an ‘all or nothing policy,’ in which you need to be a Lugnet member to post.

The only alternative to email-posting I can see would be to create a password-type cookie that allows you to post after logging in. But that’s a bit close to the Lugnet membership... remember that Lugnet is a service, not a privilage.

-JHK