 General / 42295
Re: BZP hits 7,000th member-Lugnet is lagging behind.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 03:10:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Alex Polimeni writes:
i couldnt believe it. go to www.BZPower.com . they have 7,000 members making
them the most popular lego-based site on the internet. its crazy!

     I've often wondered how representative the quoted membership numbers
are.  I remember hearing about instances of people signing up for multiple
accounts so they could stuff the ballot boxes during prize-awarding MOC
contests.  There might also be 'dead' accounts still on the list where the
member has been banned or left for other reasons.  And there are also a
large number of accounts that have never been used at all after being
activated.  My guess would be that the member tally comes from an internal
membership ID assigned to keep track of who posted what, rather than being a
hard count of everyone who actually posts or logs in.  If you go by active
individuals, I'm sure LUGNET has a much larger overall membership base.
Granted, BZP easily has a larger daily post count, but they're also known to
have problems with pointless post inflation by people trying to upgrade
their sidebar icons and such.

     Besides, _NOBODY_ can claim to be the most popular LEGO-based site
except www.lego.com, which gets I believe gets over 1 million visitor
sessions each month (not hits, which are meaningless for keeping track of
total webtraffic, since any webpage with 100 images on it counts at least
101 hits each time one person downloads it).