 General / 42312
Re: BZP hits 7,000th member-Lugnet is lagging behind.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 03:38:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Rich Manzo wrote:
All of those were found and deleted. Cheating and bribery taking place >during MOC contests are treated very seriously at BZP.

     And during giveaways?  How sure are you that noone has an extra chance or
two in the lottery draws?

Many people sign up for BZP and never post.

     How many?  It hardly seems fair to rank the popularity of your forum based
on people who haven't even participated in it.

I dunno about that. I treat spam very seriously and all spam posts are >deleted when found. When the post is deleted, that post is deducted from the >member's post count, and from the forum total for that day. No "pointless" >posts get through unless one of my 20+ mods miss them. Even if they do, they >represent less than 3% of those totaled on average.

     But the mere existence of the post-count reward system still artificially
inflates the total post-count over time.  People start finding ways to boost
their count to earn the next little "cookie" by getting in on every thread they
can, whereas without the icons and titles and such they'll be more likely to
only post when they feel they've got something worth contributing.

That wasn't the claim. The claim is that BZP forum is the most popular
LEGO-based forum on the net.

     I believe the quote I was replying to was "the most popular lego-based site
on the internet."  Not your statement, but I never said it was.

     Anyways, the whole idea of comparing total quantities of BZP "members" vs.
LUGNET "members" is a bit skewed, as the current total of official members on
LUGNET probably still refers to paid memberships, which would be more accurately
compared to BZP Premiere Members.  I'm not sure if there's a public tally of
total number of registered LUGNET users, but that'd be a more equivalent
comparison to the basic BZP member.  And now that the whole confusion about what
LUGNET membership involves is being cleared up, I expect there will be a steady
influx of new blood throughout the next year.