 General / 42296
Re: BZP hits 7,000th member-Lugnet is lagging behind.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 05:19:04 GMT

I've often wondered how representative the quoted membership numbers
are.  I remember hearing about instances of people signing up for multiple
accounts so they could stuff the ballot boxes during prize-awarding MOC
contests.

All of those were found and deleted. Cheating and bribery taking place during
MOC contests are treated very seriously at BZP.

There might also be 'dead' accounts still on the list where the
member has been banned or left for other reasons.

Banned accounts are not added to the membership total. We have just over 200
banned members. The price of success, I suppose.

And there are also a
large number of accounts that have never been used at all after being
activated.  My guess would be that the member tally comes from an internal
membership ID assigned to keep track of who posted what, rather than being a
hard count of everyone who actually posts or logs in.

Many people sign up for BZP and never post. However, as I saw in the Rahkshi
contest we held last week, many of those people who you would think are dead
accounts just prefer not to post. They entered the contest eventhough the never
posted. We're getting about 12,000 unique visitors with a day now, so some 5,000
people who read BZP daily have never even bothered to join, nevermind post. I
know I've seen your IP ghosting the forums too.

but they're also known to
have problems with pointless post inflation by people trying to upgrade
their sidebar icons and such.

I dunno about that. I treat spam very seriously and all spam posts are deleted
when found. When the post is deleted, that post is deducted from the member's
post count, and from the forum total for that day. No "pointless" posts get
through unless one of my 20+ mods miss them. Even if they do, they represent
less than 3% of those totaled on average.

     Besides, _NOBODY_ can claim to be the most popular LEGO-based site

That wasn't the claim. The claim is that BZP forum is the most popular
LEGO-based forum on the net. In terms of posts per day, with more than 3,000 at
BZP, that is still unrivaled -- even by Lego.com

I must say that the topic starter's point is moot. BZP is in no way looking to
compete with Lugnet. If anything, I am guessing Lugnet is glad BZP takes those
12 year old Bionicle lovers someplace else.

--Rich
BZPower Administrator