 General / 40078
Re: One last BrickShelf suggestion...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:00:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
As I've seen no substantial effort by the BrickShelf administrator to
interact with the community (which is VERY eager to help) in finding a
solution to BrickShelf's bandwidth problem, I will offer one final suggestion.

Not having statistics in front of me (for some reason, I can't find them on
the main page of BrickShelf), I would imagine that a large part of the
problem is allowing off-site deep linking for image hosting. People host
their images for free on someone else's site, and allow traffic from their
own pages to access the images. This multiplies the number of hits images
are getting, because its not just people browsing at BrickShelf, but people
browsing all of these other sites (which have varying degrees of
popularity). I wonder how much bandwidth would be freed up if BrickShelf
prevented off-site linking?

LUGNET did this a couple years ago with set database images being used for
Ebay auctions and the like. People directly linked to them versus
downloading them and hosting on their own servers.

I'm troubled with the BrickShelf admin's lack of interest in interacting
with _his own user base_ to find a solution to the site's problems. The
people of the community have shown they want to help, while BrickShelf
doesn't appear to want it.

-Tim

I know that a great many people use Brickshelf for image deep linking
(myself included).  The bandwidth demands for a site with as many pictures
as Brickshelf can be pretty impressive for someone who has to pay for
bandwidth.  As an example, before I switched my images to brickshelf (and
then again to Alex Cruz' mirror) the Star Wars ISD comic strip I wrote up
was pulling 5 gigs a day of bandwidth.  And that was just 21 images.  There
are 200,000 images on brickshelf.  Even dropping deep linking, brickshelf is
still a very popular source.

I'm wondering, actually, if whichever hosting company is running brickshelf
for Kevin is maxing out the actual physical connection they have to the
internet.  If said hosting company requires a physical upgrade of wires, no
amount of donation or payment scheme will make it worthwhile to do so.  I
fear the only option would be to forbid deeplinking somehow, which would
force the burdon of paying for this bandwidth to the people who pass a lot
of data (like the Brick Testament).  I for one can't afford to handle that
much bandwidth easily.

Adrian