 General / 40052
Re: One last BrickShelf suggestion...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 04:22:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
Stuff can't be free forever.

Why not?

(And that's a serious question).

Well, its certainly not a proven fact, but its an observed trend. See:

http://www.theendoffree.com/

I'm not going to debate you on that, though, that's for sure.

I'm not advocating BrickShelf going 100% paid;
but I am advocating adding that option to help the current situation.

Fine. I'll choose to be in the free section.

Doesn't bother me any.

I couldn't agree more. I'm really amazed at how much criticism BrickShelf
takes with no reply from Kevin.

I think that any reply from Kevin would only net him more criticism.

If it was a respectful reply, adequately addressing the concerns of those
who care enough to say something about BrickShelf's recent state, I don't
believe it would be.

Even the positive suggestions go
unacknowledged. What annoys me the most about BrickShelf, more than the
bandwidth problems, more than the moderation, is that its administrator
won't listen to the community when people want to help.

Do you consider your suggestion a 'positive' one?

I don't, and here's why: You're suggesting that Kevin fundamentally change
the nature of his well established and well respected site, to alleviate a
(possibly temporary) problem you are experiencing.

I'm suggesting that Kevin find a solution to a problem that has been around
for a while. I'm suggesting that so more people can have an enjoyable
experience browsing the BrickShelf gallery, and so more people can see
others' LEGO creations.

Because of BrickShelf's bandwidth and moderation problems, it isn't so
well-respected anymore. At least in the circles I hang out in.

What do you presume 'the community' to be? A few people on LUGNET who
suggest that Brickshelf charge or prevent deep linking??

Better question: do you presume the people who have made helpful suggestions
to not be a part of the community? It seems that's what you're implying by
your question. Shame on them for airing their concerns, instead of going
with the flow, right?

I'm surprised more
haven't abandoned BrickShelf for other hosts, even if they do have to pay.

That's because you're underestimating the attraction of a free service.

Free may mean attractive, but free doesn't necessarily mean quality.
You get what you pay for.

I've made my grievances pretty well known on the issue. No sense further
allowing myself to be baited into a debate on it. That's enough from me on
the topic.

-Tim