 General / 40016
40015  |  40017
Subject:
One last BrickShelf suggestion...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:55:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

As I've seen no substantial effort by the BrickShelf administrator to
interact with the community (which is VERY eager to help) in finding a
solution to BrickShelf's bandwidth problem, I will offer one final suggestion.

Not having statistics in front of me (for some reason, I can't find them on
the main page of BrickShelf), I would imagine that a large part of the
problem is allowing off-site deep linking for image hosting. People host
their images for free on someone else's site, and allow traffic from their
own pages to access the images. This multiplies the number of hits images
are getting, because its not just people browsing at BrickShelf, but people
browsing all of these other sites (which have varying degrees of
popularity). I wonder how much bandwidth would be freed up if BrickShelf
prevented off-site linking?

LUGNET did this a couple years ago with set database images being used for
Ebay auctions and the like. People directly linked to them versus
downloading them and hosting on their own servers.

I'm troubled with the BrickShelf admin's lack of interest in interacting
with _his own user base_ to find a solution to the site's problems. The
people of the community have shown they want to help, while BrickShelf
doesn't appear to want it.

-Tim