 General / 40017
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 18:20:22 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:
I've noticed a big change in feedback here.  In the 'old' days of Lugnet,
every post would get responded, even a tiny model would generate a large
thread of discussion. <snip>

Well, this question seems to come up now and then.  I will add three thoughts...

First:
Of the reasons for not commenting on MOCs, I think all the reasons mentioned
so far have some validity.  For me BrickShelf being slow is sometimes an
issue.  I sometimes wonder why people don't post more on their own sites,
but then I guess BS is free and private sites are not unless they are filled
with pop-up ads (which are even more likely to turn people away).  The issue
of having a varying work schedule and other hobbies that keep me off-line
also leaves me often replying only to those MOCs that I find exceptional.
And even then, if a decent MOC already has a bazillion replies saying what I
might say, then I see no point to use my limited online time.  Also, there
are sometimes threads that I want to read through entirely before I reply,
and if the thread contains many posts, I don't always get through it.

Second:
As far as the elite-poster issue goes, I think the trick is to be patient.
If you stick around long enough, eventually you will say or post something
that catches their attention and one of them will recognize your name
somewhat, and then they will reply not realizing that you are not one of
them.  Haha!  Meanwhile, you can do what the rest of us do: Don't worry
about them.  In a community like this, maybe there are some elitists (I
don't know for sure, since I try to give people some benefit of doubt), but
who cares.  Let them do their thing, and the rest of us can share our MOCs
and conversation with or without them.  I mean really, if you want caring,
non-judgemental, Lego-loving online-friends to appreciate your MOCs, then
why care what that minority thinks?  How many names were on the last .space
roll call?  What percentage of them do you think of as elitist?  I bet there
are more of you than there are of them.  Point is, no Lugnetter should leave
because some elitist minority doesn't say hello to them.  Band together with
the majority and play well!

Third:
It was said in this thread (and others) that posts seem to have gone down
overall over the years since Lugnet was brand new.  I find this odd,
considering we get new members signing on every month (and now have over
1800 I believe).  But perhaps not all new members use the newsgroups, since
there are other resources here at Lugnet (links to other sites, set
database, etc.)

With regards to the trend of fewer posts over the past months or years, I
have this one theory.  I should point out though, that I missed the first
year or so of Lugnet because I was suffering an internet dark age.  But I
was a regular on rtl for a couple of years before that, so I have some
perspective.

My theory is that when these online AFOL communities were new there was a
lot of discussion based simply on the excitement of realizing that other
people in the world shared our hobby.  Prior to finding rtl, I always
thought I was the only person who played with Lego into adulthood without
having a job for TLC.  A lot of us felt the same way, and finding AFOLs
online was like finding lost siblings that were separated at birth but whom
still had a strong bond.  It was an exciting time.  But eventually that
excitement waned after we rehashed our memories of childhood Lego for the
upteenth time and theorized about juniorization until even modern Lego had
been discussed to death.  There was only one thing left to do: break off
into compartmentalized sub-groups that could focus on their individual
interests within the hobby and promote creative idea sharing within such groups.

Thus Lugnet was born.  What followed was another surge in interest.  Now
people were gathering in groups with an even more focused shared interest.
Train clubs and local Lugs were being formed.  Database resources were
established.  Mountains rose, oceans subsided, and on the seventh day, Todd
and Suz rested.

And new members are still joining constantly, discovering that other AFOLs
are here for them.  But now, all that excitement of discovery and
rediscovery has not only passed for those who have been here a while, but it
is documented and downloadable in a searchable news database so that any new
members can read them and we don't have to go through those discussions
again.  Lugnet, BrickShelf, and other resources the community has
established now hold enough information that many (not all) of the topics we
are used to thinking about are now 'old hat'.  I argue that this explains
some of the 'slow down' in posts.

...No need to worry though, I do *not* believe posts will stop all together,
as there are always new topics and new MOCs.  Rather, I argue that because
of my theory that our current level and frequency of posting is actually
*normal* and the heavier levels we have seen in the past we the *exception*
brought on by growing pains of such a relatively new community.

Cheerio,
-Hendo