 General / 39526
Re: National Hockey League and Lego Company announce multi-year global alliance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:00:56 GMT

That's incorrect on how Gretzky got 99.  It had nothing to do with not
feeling
worthy to wear Howe's number.   Here is a passagee from "99 My Life in
Pictures"
book: • Great info Ken Thanks!
Expect for my first year, when I wore 11, I wore number 9 all through minor
hockey.
I couldn't get it in Sault Ste. Marie (it was worn by Brian Gualazzi), so I
started with
number 14.  I kept telling Muzz McPherson (the general manager) I wanted to
wear 19,
but he said "Well, why don't you just wear two 9's?  I said, "Great1 I'll
take it."  And that's
how I got number 99.