 General / 39516
Re: National Hockey League and Lego Company announce multi-year global alliance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:08:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.general, Ken Godawa writes:

That's incorrect on how Gretzky got 99.  It had nothing to do with not
feeling worthy to wear Howe's number.   Here is a passagee from "99 My Life in
Pictures" book:

Expect for my first year, when I wore 11, I wore number 9 all through minor
hockey. I couldn't get it in Sault Ste. Marie (it was worn by Brian Gualazzi),
so I started with number 14.  I kept telling Muzz McPherson (the general
manager) I wanted to wear 19, but he said "Well, why don't you just wear two
9's?  I said, "Great1 I'll take it."  And that's how I got number 99.

Thanks, Ken.  Of course, the whole reason he was bent on the number 9 was
because it was Howe's number.

Now, what's the story about Mario Lemieux's number choice?  Was it in deference
to Gretzky or in his face?

-John

Sheeeech John, It's a luck he didn't wear #69, what a story you could have
invented there!

(btw, Howe was a good player, but far from being amonst the best of all
time.  His records are only a proof of his love to play, as he did for sooo
many years...)

Terry :-)