 General / 39216
Re: how very odd
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:17:39 GMT

Hey James,

You are right this is confusing.  There is no reason to use that piece if
you are going to cover up the window, other than piece availibility (sp?).
And the Lego company doesn't have to worry about that!  One other small
issue could be structure strength.  I am wondering if Peeron has the
inventory right on this piece.  It seems like I have seen this piece in
something else.  I have never seen lego make a new piece for only one set,
besides unusual colors (ie the black sword) or printing.  I have used this
piece and I don't have that set, but I buy a lot loose lego.  Anyone know of
a set other than 6097 that has this piece?

Also confused,
Josh

In lugnet.general, James Stacey writes:
This confused me the other day. What is LEGO's policy on new parts. I have
seen people comment on how old parts cannot be reintroduced as the cost of
replication is too high. Why was this part ever produced. take a look at the
corner dark grey piece at the top of
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6097/6097-12.html
with the window. A nice useful piece, but the only benefit I can see ove
using two of these http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2345 is the window.
Seeing as this is the only time as far as I can see this piece has ever been
used take a look at the next stage in the instructions
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6097/6097-13.html
where the window is covered up. Like I said its quite a handy part, but I
can't see why Lego ever bothered making it for one set.

go figure

--
James Stacey
---------
#925 - I'm a citizen of Legoland travelling Incommunicado