 General / 38177
Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:35:15 GMT

"A. Mark Wilburn" wrote:

A person lacking in morals could theoretically open said box in this manner,
take out what they wanted, and then glue the box closed again.  The store
would never notice when they took it back as a return as it would appear to
be a completely sealed new set.

Hmm. Good point Troy; I guess it simply hadn't crossed my mind that someone
would do that, but you're right; re-gluing it would be possible. And you're
right: it did seem a little coincidental that all the 'must-have' pieces
were what was taken out (and would also explain the open polybags in a
sealed box). Perhaps that's what happened to Paul Hanson and his near miss
with the soccer bus?! In which case, this brings up an entirely new issue:
what can be done to fix this? It's not even shoplifting that can be caught
on camera anymore! If stores change the refund policies, honest people who
get actual factory mistakes would be stuck. Could Lego possibly make the
package more tamper proof?? They could make the boxes more fragile so that
any tampering would be visible... but then people who actually collect the
boxes would be disappointed that they aren't sturdy enough. Plastic windows
in all sets so we can see if the contents are intact? Cost prohibitive (I
think).

hmm... what about a seal around all the seams of the box? That doesn't help
the retailer much in the case of fraudulent returns, but it would at least
help consumers avoid the sets that have already been tampered with?

Well, the larger sets used to be sealed with a small sticker such that
it was almost impossible to open the box without either tearing or
pulling the sticker off (and damaging the box). Set which had sat on the
shelf a long time could have the glue fail, but even that was
noticeable. Unfortunately, those boxes aren't as durable, though they
are also better in some ways for certain types of box collector since
they are a thin shell with a plain corrugated (easily recyclable) tray
box inside for strength.

Frank