 General / 38174
Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 06:51:42 GMT

A word in favor of TLC though: In the case of your latter example, I suspect
TLC (or the nearest affiliate to you (such as Lego Systems in the US)) would
send you any missing or defective parts without question even if your store
receipt was several months old.  There have been a number of stories posted
here before where unhappy builders were treated with great sympathy once
they contacted the Lego customer relations staff.

Keep the Faith,
-Hendo

Oh, I have absolutely no doubts that LEGO customer service is fantastic.
Although I never needed them to replace missing parts, I did call them once
to tell them my cats had destroyed my new Gungan Sub kit; they especially
found the new flexible straw pieces great for chewing on. I called LEGO and
told them of my dilemma (and how I couldn't replace those long straw pieces
without buying another set) and they happily sent me replacements for the
pieces my cats destroyed, asking only that I keep sets with straw pieces
away from my cats from that point on (I have -- although the same cat
(SOPHIE!!!!!) went on to destroy the landing strut pieces on my Technic Prop
plane by knocking it off a very high shelf. Well, I can't replace those
pieces at *all* except via brickbay... so now all finished models are stored
in boxes. Where that cat can't get to them). It wasn't even LEGO's fault
some of the pieces were destroyed, but they sent me replacements anyway.
(That's why a month later, when I discovered my UCS X-Wing was missing 1
easily replaceable piece, I didn't bother them with that).

But yes, I know their customer service is the best. I was just expressing
shock/ frustration at this apparent sudden drop in QA. Only to have Troy
point out that it might well not be LEGO's QA at fault at all... Which then
begs the question how can LEGO and/ or the retailers avoid people getting
shoplifted leftovers.

PS  You should keep the misprinted minifig head.  Misprints like that are
bound to be valuable collector items in years to come (as happened with the
Black Falcon figs with reverse printing).

LOL I hadn't thought of it that way; and while I doubt a minifig with a
shaved eyebrow would ever become valuable, your point is well made!

Funny, 3 replies but none about "The Good". Maybe that's cause everyone who
read it is thinking "Well, DUH, of course that's one of the things great
about LEGO!" ;)