 General / 37042
  Where is everything going?

Ok, I remember when I used to go to Ebay and see almost every lego set there at a cutthroat bidding competition, but at my current return to it, it is deserted. Literally. Thousands of no bid items. What happened? Civilization end? This was a real (...) (22 years ago, 8-Jun-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) Possible reasons for what you saw: 1. The true end of the "gosh wow" internet buying thing 2. Saturation of the market willing to pay those prices (the perception of those prices having changed and the fact that no elements are truly rare, (...) (22 years ago, 8-Jun-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Where is everything going?

I would add that part of what I see for auction in the Lego category is mis-represented and the thypical LEGO buyer is more knowledgeable about the product being sold than the "idot" selling the item. I use "idot" in quotes to comprehensively (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) Hyperbole on Ebay is often ridiculous. I remember seeing a lot of one or two hundred Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazines a few weeks ago. The seller was going on and on about how this was probably one of the largest collections in existance. I (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.services)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) How can you expect someone to tell you the shipping costs up front, unless they give a flat fee that will most likely overcharge you? Especially with the new USPS rates hitting July 1. I mean, I could list "$10 shipping in the continental US" (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.services)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) Well, the internet's free ride is well over then isn't it? I am very unlikely to pay $30 total for an item at $20 with an additional s&h of $10. Sometimes I order rarer or "hard to find in quantity" elements from Europe via Bricklink and the (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.services)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) Add to that list a possible 8th... 8. The summer doldrums. Last year I watched my BLink activity nosedive between early May and late August. Many people are on vacation. Many people have outside things to do that they cannot do during the (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) I don't expect to be told shipping from Somalia to Suriname, but shipping within the seller's home country should be an easily known quantity, and should be stated. For example, when I buy a thirty year old magazine I'm willing to pay $5 for (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.services, lugnet.market.shipping)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) Anyone who's done a significant number of sales can fairly accurately estimate their shipping costs. It's becoming more complicated for domestic US because of the rate change, but it's still quite do-able. Especially so for E-Bay sellers who (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.services)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) Sure, assuming you take the time to box up lots ahead of time. But how many people have the room to do so? I certainly don't, so simply list an estimate. Box weight can often push the shipping costs up a bracket or more, so unless you pre-box (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.services)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) <blink> Did I not say "estimate"? You sound like you're disagreeing with me, but then you go ahead and say that you estimate shipping. I'm confused. (...) I think you misunderstood me. If you say "I charge exact shipping + $1.00", why do you (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.services)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) Speaking mostly in regards to Ebay: Since I feel that buyers have the luxury to be choosy these days (supply exceeds demand) I have become much more selective than ever about what items I bid on (have always been a careful bidder). One of the (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.services)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) between (...) are (...) What was the impact of Sept 11 on bricklink sales? You seem to imply sales dropped? There was some media report that post Sept 11, people tended to stay home and buy construction toys, which would suggest bricklink (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) My recollection is that there were some wild oscilltions. For the first day or two, sales went to zero. Then, all of a sudden, there was a burst of activity, then nothing, then another burst. This kept happening for a week or two, then the (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) What I've always said (as a seller) is "Save on shipping by bidding on multiple items" and "Buyer pays actual cost for Priority Mail or actual cost plus $2 for other shipping methods". I include any cost for packaging in the actual cost, so (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.services)

  Re: Where is everything going?

(...) apply!) (...) prices (...) <snip here> On the other hand, there's this: (URL) the item listing says "HTF STAR WARS 2 Jedi Duel LEGOS w/ YODA! NIP", the description seems to indicate only one set - currently available at $9.99 retail. Seller (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.market.theory)