 Marketplace / Theory / 2419
Re: Where is everything going?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 00:11:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.general, Matthew Ferguson writes:
Ok, I remember when I used to go to Ebay and see almost every lego set there
at a cutthroat bidding competition, but at my current return to it, it is
deserted. Literally.  Thousands of no bid items.  What happened?
Civilization end?  This was a real shock...

Possible reasons for what you saw:

1. The true end of the "gosh wow" internet buying thing
2. Saturation of the market willing to pay those prices (the perception of
those prices having changed and the fact that no elements are truly rare,
something I asserted when prices were higher by far)
3. Grading of items becoming an issue, esp. on eBay  (amateurs need not • apply!)
4. Dislike for auction sites over straight sale sites at more reasonable • prices
5. The advent of Bricklink as the element hunting ground of choice
6. The possibility that TLC/Lego Direct is about to reissue the desired sets
7. Economic hard times for many

<snip here>
On the other hand, there's this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1739771761

Although the item listing says "HTF STAR WARS 2 Jedi Duel LEGOS w/ YODA! NIP",
the description seems to indicate only one set - currently available at
$9.99 retail.  Seller limits to U.S., so it's not someone elsewhere who
can't get one, and asks $4.00 s/h.  Sold for $14.55.  Go figure.