 Marketplace / Services / 484
Re: Where is everything going?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:42:13 GMT

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Tom Stangl, VFAQman wrote:

TWS Garrison wrote:

My major irritant at Ebay is sellers who won't tell you upfront how much
shipping will be, what forms of payment they accept, or even what they're
selling. . .

How can you expect someone to tell you the shipping costs up front, unless they give
a flat fee that will most likely overcharge you?  Especially with the new USPS rates
hitting July 1.

I mean, I could list "$10 shipping in the continental US" on most of my small lots
to be sure I don't lose more on shipping than I make on the lot, but I doubt people
would bid on a $20 lot with $10 shipping.

Payment types and what they're selling, I can understand.  Requiring shipping costs
up front, I can't.

I don't expect to be told shipping from Somalia to Suriname, but shipping
within the seller's home country should be an easily known quantity, and
should be stated.  For example, when I buy a thirty year old magazine I'm
willing to pay $5 for it.  If the seller has slipped it into a padded
envelope, put it on the scale at the post office, and hit "media mail" he
can tell me how much it should be, and I can bid accordingly.  Even if he
just tells me how he will ship it, I can tell whether or not to bid at all
by whether he's shipping media or priority (although my bid may not be as
high as it would be if I knew exactly how much).  If I don't know, I may
not bother to bid (especially since Ebay has made it so much harder to ask
sellers questions).

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/