 General / 37045
Re: Where is everything going?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 12:35:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matthew Ferguson writes:
Ok, I remember when I used to go to Ebay and see almost every lego set there
at a cutthroat bidding competition, but at my current return to it, it is
deserted. Literally.  Thousands of no bid items.  What happened?
Civilization end?  This was a real shock...

Possible reasons for what you saw:

1. The true end of the "gosh wow" internet buying thing
2. Saturation of the market willing to pay those prices (the perception of
those prices having changed and the fact that no elements are truly rare,
something I asserted when prices were higher by far)
3. Grading of items becoming an issue, esp. on eBay  (amateurs need not apply!)
4. Dislike for auction sites over straight sale sites at more reasonable prices
5. The advent of Bricklink as the element hunting ground of choice
6. The possibility that TLC/Lego Direct is about to reissue the desired sets
7. Economic hard times for many

But this has happened across the board in my view, not just to Lego items --
everything supposedly collectable is suffering the advent of the internet's
ability to put a would-be buyer and a would-be seller together across vast
distances and without store fronts.  Unless the item was originally issued
in a quantity in the low hundreds (200-500 as an upper limit), there is no
reason to believe that the item is THAT rare or that it will fetch unusually
high prices -- certainly not over time, not when the same items come up for
bid again and again.

Examples:
DENNY MARTIN - PRIMITIVA * LP/ RARE Item # 880535677 -- no bids at $8, used
to sell for over $40 in the condition described

Figure Drawing by Andrew Loomis 1948 Item # 1541920293 -- no bids at $50,
used to go for over 3 x that amount

DETECTIVE COMICS #475 VERY FINE ROGERS ART Item # 2110527431 -- no bids at
$3, used to go for around $50-75 back in the day

-- Hop-Frog