 Marketplace / Services / 487
Re: Where is everything going?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:39:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tom Stangl writes:
James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.general, Thomas Stangl writes:
TWS Garrison wrote:

My major irritant at Ebay is sellers who won't tell you upfront how much
shipping will be, what forms of payment they accept, or even what they're
selling. . .

How can you expect someone to tell you the shipping costs up front, unless
they give a flat fee that will most likely overcharge you?  Especially with
the new USPS rates hitting July 1.

Anyone who's done a significant number of sales can fairly accurately
estimate their shipping costs.  It's becoming more complicated for domestic
US because of the rate change, but it's still quite do-able.

Sure, assuming you take the time to box up lots ahead of time.  But how many
people have the room to do so?  I certainly don't, so simply list an estimate.

<blink>  Did I not say "estimate"?  You sound like you're disagreeing with
me, but then you go ahead and say that you estimate shipping.  I'm confused.

Or say "Shipping will be via (blah service), and I charge $1 above my
straight shipping cost to cover shipping material."  Tell people how you
ship, and they can go check for themselves how much it costs.  If you don't
want to do the legwork, make them do it.

That's fine, and works OK, as long as you know the shipping weight, i.e. you
already have the box you will ship in.  Often I don't, as I try to find the
smallest box possible (with adequate packing protection), but I simply don't
have the storage space for more boxes (I already have a 2x4 ft floorspace
area used up by shipping boxes).

I think you misunderstood me.  If you say "I charge exact shipping + $1.00",
why do you need to have the box or know the weight ahead of time?

I know I avoid places that don't state at least some shipping standard up
front, because experience has taught me they often overcharge shipping.

I find the reverse - ones that state a flat rate often make a lot off of
shipping, as when I get the packages, the shipping costs are almost always
less than stated, and sometimes FAR less.

We must shop different places.  I'll take "$10 flat shipping" over "" any
day.  If I know ahead of time that the shipping is $10, I know that I need
to factor that into my eventual cost (bid price, order size, whatever).  If
I don't know the shipping (or a rough estimate) ahead of time, then I've got
a question mark that might push my order from "a good deal" to "I got hosed."

$0.02

James

(trimmed lugnet.general)