 General / 34612
Re: c1970 castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:03:43 GMT

Andrew,
I can't find a Promo castle from the early 1970's. The first official Castle
listed on Lugnet is 375 from 1978. With some more info, I might be able to
help you narrow down the search.

What was the main colour of the castle?
When you say 3 large plates, what size do you mean (in studs)? Also, do you
mean thin baseplates (like we currently have), or the brick-thick large
bases used on vintage sets like
( http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=700 ).
Were the windows just holes, clear bricks, or actual windows like
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=29 ?

If it was a promo castle, then it probably had something to do with the
product. Is there a 1970's era cereal that had a castle logo or theme? Or
possibly a picture show with that theme?

If your estimate of the year is correct, and the castle was white/red on
thick bases with real windows, then my blind-guess would be that you had a
generic construction set. Possibly a promotional item with custom
instructions to build a castle.

Please post your answers, they may help someone else ID the castle. Also,
you may want to ask cereal collectors. They have more complete info
about the promotions. Of course, if you do find a new set, let us know!

Feel free to contact me directly if I may be of any further help.
Clark

In lugnet.general, Andrew Apps writes:
This model was a castle which was bought for me when i was about 3 years old
in 1970.  It came from an offer from Kellogs corflakes (in UK), or similar
breakfast cereal.  I seem to remeber the base was made up from 3 large
plates, it had several turrets,  keep and wall walkways, and many tall and
narrow windows.