 General / 30486
Re: Classics - some questions to explore
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 19:16:44 GMT

"Holger Matthes" <matthes@fh-aachen.de> wrote in message

1.) LEGO in german housholds: Indeed, LEGO used to be the toy EVERYBODY • has at
home! Even if it was just a small collection. But I don't know about the
situation today, after all that juniorization from the last years? But
listening to shop sellers from the smaller retail shops, they are very
unsatisfied with LEGO company. (No sets with "normal" bricks, houses,
etc.)

The situation in the Netherlands is very similar, there is a small LEGO
collection in almost every household in the Netherlands too. I also see the
amount of shelf space decrease and very little shops have the LEGO logo
outside (some years back it was exactly like Larry said: you could recognise
a toy-store _because_ there was a big LEGO logo outside).
Many small independant toy-shops are taken over by bigger chain-stores.
(Probably the reason the big LEGO logo's dissappear: they don't fit in with
the 'house-style', instead of the individual character, a shop has to have
the chain's appearance). Anyway there are very few independant shops left.
:-(

Does that explain why TLC will sell the classic sets in retail markets in
Germany? I don't know. Probably Germany was the most efficent market for • TLC in
the past, regarding the amount on sold sets in comparisson to the number • of
children and adults (80 million) who are customers.

There are probably more independant shops in Germany. My guess is that this
gives TLC more sales information than the bigger chains: AFAIK the big chain
shops buy their merchandise centrally and then send the stock to their
shops. The small shops buy their stuff straight from TLC so it's better for
TLC to see how the sets actually sell. The large stores probably care less
about how well a set sells because losses in one city are compensated by
profits in another city (so their risks are spread out).
The small shops do care about how well sets sell because they're on their
own.

-Frank