 General / 30449
Re: Classics - some questions to explore
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 13:41:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bryan Kinkel writes:

Another question - why make these Shop at Home exclusives for everywhere but
Germany? I have never been overseas, but what is different about the German
market?

I am not a retail expert but I've been toyhunting in Germany and I can think
of several things:

1. Lego has very high penetration into German households. Higher than
anywhere else in the world
2. German retailing is very fragmented, with no dominant toy players at the
scale of the big four US toy guys (Kmart, TRU, Target and Walmart)
3. Lego is everywhere at the German retail level. There are a LOT of smaller
toystores, and you see the Lego logo featured prominently, it's almost a
substitute for putting up a "toy store" sign.
4. German retailers don't discount the way US retailers do and inventory
does not get so aggressively managed.

... these are all factors to consider. Plus, there is the mystery element of
someone within TLC retail may have just decided to do it that way for no
particular reason or as a deal to get the sets made.

I could see these sets selling well in the States in stores that
have excellent inventory control. Target, for example, seems to move
inventory very well.

Perhaps. But if LD is why these sets got created, they WOULD be S@H
exclusives, as LD does not have the retail brief. I do not know for sure
what the real reason is. How could I or any of us? Fun to speculate though.

++Lar