 General / 30214
  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Parts maybe but colors is not true. Model builders can order parts from Billund in any of 84 (currently, 141 ever) "colors". Note some "colors" contain sparkles or other textures. Many of these have never been sold to the public. A huge number (...) (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

I don't want to get into a heated argument here, but Kevin is very right. Legoland has part after part in colors NEVER produced in sets. All you need for proof is to walk around Miniland. While I don't much care what color Lego decides to make (...) (23 years ago, 11-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) So how do they handle 141 colors with 2 digits? Hex? Octal? ;-) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Now wait a minute. Why would they *mold* the color number? Is a given mold only used for a single color? I think it makes more sense to use a mold for whatever color you need, instead of having to make a new mold for every color. /Eric McC/ (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) LEGO Foreman: Hey! We need the 2x8 brick mold on the number 17 machine today! LEGO Worker: Sorry boss. We sent that mold to Billund yesterday. You can only make 1x2 plates in white today. LEGO Foreman: OK. What was our total output for the (...) (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) I thought that's what they did too. I don't know for sure. I do know *this*, though. It is possible to have a mold that has inserts to allow different numbers to be molded into the parts, you select the right insert at the time you deploy the (...) (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  color codes on molds (was: Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.)

(...) [sni] (...) Your scenario makes it clear that it is absurd to be continually switching colors in molds for high volume parts. It is funny, but doesn't address my comment My point is it would be pretty dumb if they couldn't clean out one of the (...) (23 years ago, 12-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

I don't have any bricks close at hand right now, so I can't be totally sure of this, though I believe the 2nd number on the brick corresponds with it's postion in the mold. That's usually how molds are numbered, that way if they find a lot of 02 (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Yep. That corresponds with my experience as well for multipart molds. All I was saying is that one CAN have inserts that vary... I can't recall the exact example at this point but I have seen molded plastic <something or anothers> that had the (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Take a look at older bricks that do not have the part number on them. Other numbers are present--normally 2 digits. I am willing to bet every last Lego brick I own [1] that the numbers molded onto bricks (not the part numbers) are the MOLD (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

"Kevin Salm" <kdsalm@dreamscape.com> wrote in message news:GD9CoD.J5r@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) while (...) Lego (...) [ ... snipped ... ] Wouldn't the presence of LEGO bricks with colors swirled together (I've never seen one (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) *snip* Good point, Mike. When the color recipe is changed over to a new one, the ABS pellets in the hopper feeding the injection molding process will probably begin mixing with the existing pellets from the existing recipe. This should result (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) That and the fact that I have two brand new "Freestyle Door" elements (part 6235), one red and one blue, that have the exact same numbers on them (2-01) on the inside. :) Jeff (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

Hi, This point crossdipped to .dear-lego (but, of course, FUT-> here to .general). (...) Hmmmm. You know, (and this is why I've quoted over to .dear-lego) a swirled mid-production-switch brick would be a very excellent little Factory Tour Keepsake (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Wow, what a neat idea! Love it. However I thought their goal was to minimise the number of crosscolored parts during changeover so they may not have that many. How many people take that tour a year, do you think? I bet almost 100% of first (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) *** NOTE: FAN ACCOUNT OF TRIP TO LEGO FACTORY *** When I was in Billund and took a tour of the main production facility, I asked about these swirl bricks. The answer was that they absolutely do not do this. (Maybe at one point in time, but not (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

Once again, what they tell the public, and what really happens, differs. I've seen a bag of 50+ swirled bricks/plates in various colors (green/yellow, blue/pink, red/black, and I think a few others) that made it out of one of the factories (MOST (...) (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Procedures change, and there's no reason both of you can't be right here. I've got a mixed-color brick, but that doesn't mean what they told Jake isn't what they do now. James (23 years ago, 13-May-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Why Gary cannot go to Legoland.

(...) Exactly. And, we're starting to delve into some proprietary process control issues that no company will share. Maybe they swirl, maybe they change molds, maybe they bleed excess ABS, maybe they run the hoppers on the mold until empty, etc. Not (...) (23 years ago, 14-May-01, to lugnet.general)