 General / 30157
Re: My first visit to LIC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 21:41:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Lill writes:
<snip>
Again, I love the fact that LICs exist, I am just noting how far they fall
away from my ideal LEGO wonderland.

Jonathan

I can totally agree with this.  When I first started at the Mall of America
LEGO Imagination Center in August of 1992, it was the greatest place in the
world to me.  I just worked there part time, but I didn't work there for the
money - I worked there because I *loved* it.  I loved being surrounded by my
favorite toy.  I loved talking to kids and seeing their eyes light up over a
new set.  I loved answering questions, especially the ones that the other
employees couldn't answer.  I loved trying to help a dozen customers at once
when the store got crazy busy.  I loved "not just being a LEGO employee in
real life, but playing one in a movie".  ("Jingle all the Way" - I'm in it
for a split-second!)

But over the last several years, LEGO at the LIC lost its direction.  Fewer
sets, more novelties.  When I left, I think we were selling more "non brick"
items than "brick" items.  More things like tshirts, socks and pencils, than
things like sets and accessory packs.  Where once we were taught that the
LEGO brand identity was the most important thing, and that the logo should
be protected, now that same logo is available on some really low quality
junk.  (I would have rather used some other words there, but this is a
family forum!)  I can understand having the logo on something well-made like
the LEGO watches (I have three of them) or the minifig keychains (I have
several), but I just can't stand to see it on junk...  LEGO used to worry
about "trademark dilution", but now they seem to do it themselves.

So, in June of 1999 I quit.  Do I miss it?  Yea, sometimes - but mostly I
miss the good people I worked with.  Although, now almost all of them are
gone too.  And, of course I miss the employee discount!  <grin>

I stopped by the MoA LIC a few weeks ago, and you know what?  They have even
*more* junk there now.  Come on LEGO, if you want to protect your logo,
don't put it on stuff that doesn't live up to your quality standards!  For
35+ years I've been playing with your toys, and I've never been dissatisfied
with their quality.  I look at some of the stuff out there now with your
logo and name on them - and I just shudder.

Do enough people still care about 'LEGO quality'?  Or are there too many
people just interested in picking up a cheap souvenir from their trip to
LIC, and will buy something no matter how junky it is?

LEGO, you're doing some great things.  The expanded bulk offerings from LEGO
Direct are great.  The overtures you've made with the AFOL community are
wonderful.  Your expanded web presence is a good thing.  Keep doing the
things that made you a great company - and quit selling garbage with your
name and logo on it...  If you feel you must put your logo on something, you
should make 100% sure it's of the highest quality.

Follow-up set to LUGNET.DEAR-LEGO...

JohnG, GMLTC