 General / 30117
Re: My first visit to LIC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 20:20:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Lill writes:

Lots of snippage...

I have an idealized version of the Lego store in my head that is perhaps
unrealistic but possible. It has features that the LIC does not have:

-It would have a slight discount on prices since it is bypassing normal
distribution paths and thus eliminating third party costs

I have to wonder though what kind of rents or other costs are incurred by
being located at a Disney attraction - those mouse guys aren't exactly known
for their generosity.  Of course, the same pricing seems to be in effect at
other LEGO sites (such as LEGOLand).

(snipped some more)

Furthermore the employees should be up to date on new product if only to talk >it up with customers.

I don't know about the ages of the employees you encountered but when I
visited LEGOLand CA last year I encountered numerous teenagers "working"
there who didn't seem to know diddly about the park or the product.  While
there were many nice, friendly and knowledgeable LEGO employees there (model
builders, managers and other folks imported from CT for the Kidvention) I
ran into some with absolutely wretched attitudes.  I didn't let it bother me
though because that's just the way it is in our society today for those
types of jobs.  It's a wonderful fantasy to think that people working for
LEGO would be the cream of the crop and happy-as-heck to be there but I
think the reality is that LEGO like most other large companies has to often
take whatever they can get when it comes to filling job openings (The Warm
Body Syndrome).

Just a couple of thoughts that were triggered by your post.

Greg