 General / 30113
30112  |  30114
Subject:
My first visit to LIC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 19:42:47 GMT

I went down to Walt Disney World this past week with my wife's family and
didn't even realize until I saw it that the Imagination center was a part of
Downtown Disney. I visited the Lego store (is it an Imagination Center?) in
downtown Chicago and found a bunch of shortcomings but I chalked that up to
the holiday season and the fact that it was newly opened. Here are my
feelings about the Disney LIC.

My positive thoughts:

Gee its great to be in a Lego store.

Its neat to see so many people having fun looking at and playing with Lego.

The stores have an almost complete line of current merchandise along with
items that are rare or only otherwise available from S@H:

the chrome knight sets in those odd flat boxes
the three Lego sculptures
minifigure sets
keychains
the Technic Power Puller
the complete line of Creator sets
the Women's Soccer set
the pair of Technic figures (which I bought though they don't have visored
helmets)
numerous polybagged mini sets

My negative thoughts (unfortunately more numerous):

-I don't know how long its been opened but the outside sculptures are
showing serious weathering. Colors have faded and in some cases acquired a
sort of white film of grime or aging. Chrome pieces have lost a substantial
amount of chrome revealing bland ABS underneath. They need to be
replaced/restored in the near future.

-A lack of train sets. The store had the metroliner and two or three sets of
tracks. None of the additional sets like railway maintenance or the cargo
train were available.

I have an idealized version of the Lego store in my head that is perhaps
unrealistic but possible. It has features that the LIC does not have:

-It would have a slight discount on prices since it is bypassing normal
distribution paths and thus eliminating third party costs

-It would have older merchandise, perhaps on closeout, straight from Lego
warehouses

-It would receive merchandise in advance of other outlets

-It would provide "insider information" on forthcoming product through
"sneak peek" instore displays or staff communications.

The LIC fails at all of this. The prices are MSRP even on sets that are
being discounted elsewhere (bits of Star Wars and Technic). There is no
older merchandise at all even of sets I know Lego has stock in(like the
insectoids available at S@H or recently discontinued Star Wars). While the
Orlando LIC is receiving Bionicle Turaga sets next week the employee I spoke
to (at least an assistant manager) wasn't even aware of the forthcoming
Dinosaur sets even though they have been slated for a June or July release.
Since Bionicle sets are available in Europe and in advance promotions
through the magazine why not have some teaser sets available in the stores
aside from promo T-shirts? Furthermore the employees should be up to date on
new product if only to talk it up with customers.

Don't get me wrong, I like the store, bought some stuff and am glad it
exists. But I worked six years in retail (albeit never for a gigantic chain)
and think that these goals are achievable even if the company doesn't think
they're desirable. As always, I am an idealist and tend to focus on what can
be rather than what is.

Jonathan