 General / 30116
Re: My first visit to LIC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 20:19:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Lill writes:
I have an idealized version of the Lego store in my head that is perhaps
unrealistic but possible. It has features that the LIC does not have:

-It would have a slight discount on prices since it is bypassing normal
distribution paths and thus eliminating third party costs

Speaking as a former LIC employee (at the Mall of America store) the way it
was described to us is that the LIC is NOT trying to "compete" with other
retailers (Target, Wal-Mart, Toys 'r' Us, etc...)  Those companies sell more
LEGO product in a week than all the LICs might sell in a year.  I used to
tell people "I don't care *where* you buy LEGO toys, just that you buy
them!"  I'd also tell them that the LIC was "one big advertisement", and the
place you would want to go if you had questions on the product, because we
had a great bunch of employees who would gladly answer any questions.

Sigh - those were the days...

JohnG, GMLTC