 General / 30013
Re: Lego Web page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 22:52:19 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Andrew Krug writes:
Richard

You make some great points in the message to which this is a reply to.  As
Brian's co-creator I would like to say that you prefectly understand our
feelings about this matter.  While some LUGNET fans were very nice about our
website and did try to offer some "friendly" advice there were other more
devious folks who really tried to torpedo it and didn't care about the
content one bit.

This was very upsetting for both Brian and I since we spent many long hours
putting the site, buildings, and storylines together while living hundereds
of mmiles apart (something I still believe has not been attempted in the
LUGNET castle community).  We really appreciated the people who liked what
we did but also severely resented those who we felt over-stepped their bounds.

The message that Brian received from TLG was anything but polite and
bordered on threatening.  As you mention it's pretty easy for a big company
with almost endlessly deep pockets to intimidate a single person.

This whole incident almost made me sell off all my lego in protest never to
build again.  Fortuneately cooler heads prevailed and Brian and others
talked me out of it and I have recovered but I was pretty darn mad at the
time all this happened.

I won't beat a dead horse becuase this is all pretty much over now but I
think people on LUGNET should just enjoy people's creations and not try to
play armchair lawyer or lego vigilante.  Brian was not really complaining
that he didn't get enough hits or comments on the site, his intent in this
string I think was just to see if there was still interest in continuing the
site and to let people know that there are perhaps dark lurkers in the
shadows who are not as friendly as the typical LUGNET folks.

The site will continue and I hope all those out there that have enjoyed it
so far continue to enjoy it and let us know what they think.  Thanks for
your interest and support.

Andy

Hey Andy, I'm glad you've decided to keep your collection and keep working
on the site.  You and Brian have a unique site and I wish you well in your
joint projects.  I'm sorry that that situation has caused you so much grief
but try to put those thoughts aside.  Please don't let something like that
ruin your love for your hobby.  I'm looking forward to your updates.  Take care!

~Nathan