 Castle / 8718
Re: Lego Web page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 20:21:51 GMT

I doubt it.  Most of us care a lot more about the content of your site than
about some legal mumbo-jumbo.  I for one could care less about anything
other than your creations.  If someone wants to flame you via e-mail, who >cares?

Well, Brian, I think people (if they were not lawyers) were just trying to
warn you, since people *have* been contacted by the LEGO Company about their
URLs. e.g. Suzanne Rich had to move her old site to a new location (now
www.baseplate.com).

And, if you *were* contacted by TLC itself, then it wasn't a flame - but an
actual legal issue.

That's not to say, however, that your site is any less cool. ;-) I like what
I've seen so far. I haven't had enough time to thoroughly check it out
(there are so many things!), but I liked what I saw so far.

I never noticed this thing before!  What does it mean to have a highlight?
All I recall is as soon as my .announce (for the web site) was on the top 10
for the day section, it was immediately gone. (Maybe out there for a half
hour)  That was what I was basing my speculation of the acceptance of my
page.  When I posted my 1 house, it was in the top ten for 8 days!  Thus, my
reasoning that my web site was a 'crash and burn.

Highlights are votes that you receive by Lugnet members.  If you get two of
them you get a "!" and if you get four of them, you receive a double "!!"  If
you were to ask me, you should get more according to the number of people
that rate your site.  But anyway - being on top of the news stories is very
finicky - sometimes it's for a week, sometimes it's for a half-hour.  It all
depends.

<nod>

The purpose of them is to help people see important or really cool posts.
For example, posts by Todd regarding important issues, or posts by Brad
Justus are often highlighted, plus (more often) posts about events or really
cool MOCs. The top 10 appear on the front page, for easy access - and you
can see more posts if you click on the "more top stories..." link.

Highlighting is not neccessarily a measure of your acceptance, but it's
certainly nice to know that people think your post is important.

-Shiri