 Castle / 8747
Re: Lego Web page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 22:19:32 GMT

Hello Brian,
  I realize this response may be a little late in coming, but you've
mentioned a few things that I feel I should toss my two cents in on.
In lugnet.castle, Brian Kasprzyk writes:
A while back, I posted my web site out here on Lugnet, http://legobuilders.com
I hardly received any response to my posting except for people yelling at me
and pointing me to the "fair play rules" on Lego.com.
Worse than that, someone EVEN thought that they would take matters into
their own hands, thinking they were some lawyer GOD of Lego do and don't
do... and contacted Lego directly complaining about my usage of the word
Lego in my domain name.
  I for one(or, apparently several), REALLY like your site. I think the
castle community has sevral really good sites, yours included, and I'm sorry
to hear you got so much (or any) grief over it.
Know here's what I really want you to consider. Does other collector's
(perceived) apathy or pettiness really detract from your enjoyment of Lego?
After MANY years of collecting dozens of different action figure lines and
working in major toy stores (TRU and KB for a total of 7 years) I realized
that the most frustrating aspect of collecting is often other collectors. I
then had a wonderful epiphany: I'm not collecting for anyone but me and
every body else can go jump in a lake if they have a problem with it. That
renewed my interest in Legos (and opened up a lot of shelf and closet
space), a wonderfully solitary toy. Then I discovered LUGNET, and was amazed
that there were others (seemingly) like me, who enjoy collecting something
that is almost completely non-competitive and take great joy in showing off
and seeing others' creations/collections. I can't believe the 'Lurkers' are
tainting the Shangri-La of collecting that is Lego and I wish they could
direct their petty nitpickings in another direction.
Please, Brian (and everybody else), don't let these 'Lurkers' bring you
down. In the long run, it's just not worth it.

Fritz