 General / 29040
Re: AFOL? Please don't call me that.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 18:00:05 GMT

hehe sounds like me but i'm only 21

ben medinets wrote:

In lugnet.general, James Trobaugh writes:
When I hear the word "Fan" I think of 14 y/o girls with rooms covered in
N'Sync posters. I do not have my room covered in LEGO bed sheets or, big red
logos on the walls. I read LUGNET to share ideas and see how others are
using the bricks to build their creations.

I know it's a thin line, but according to dictionary.com "fan" is short for
"fanatic" and is defined as "A person marked or motivated by an extreme,
unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.". I agree that I would fall into
that category, it's not the LEGO product itself that I show extreme
enthusiasm for, but for what you can do with the product, and the effects
that are produced.

Well, I'll just add that I've been a collector of Lego for over 18 years.
Some would say I am a fanatic....I spend a good deal of my income (disposable
and sometimes non-disposable income) on Lego - mostly now through E-bay!
I, like other serious collectors, have many, many sets...not as much as some
but a lot more than others.
I have a great Lego Blanket on my bed and would like to add some matching
sheets, pillow cases, and a curtains also.
Would all this point to some obsession???  I guess, but does it satisfy
me, and keep me thinking and feeling young???  You bet.  I am now 26 years
old, young by some standards, but I ask many people that I know, and when
they find out my age, they are surprised.  Most people think I am 21 to 24.
It may be the way I have my hair, but I don't have a lot of worries, and
don't let things stress me out too much...
the bottom line for me is that Lego is very therapeutic and a good reason
to collect it!!!  Especially those trains...going round and round the track!!

Benjamin Medinets

--
Daniel Staudt <dstaudt@hotmail.com>
Lugnet NUT #872