 General / 28811
Re: AFOL? Please don't call me that.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 00:15:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Trobaugh writes:
When I hear the word "Fan" I think of 14 y/o girls with rooms covered in
N'Sync posters. I do not have my room covered in LEGO bed sheets or, big red
logos on the walls. I read LUGNET to share ideas and see how others are
using the bricks to build their creations.

I know it's a thin line, but according to dictionary.com "fan" is short for
"fanatic" and is defined as "A person marked or motivated by an extreme,
unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.". I agree that I would fall into
that category, it's not the LEGO product itself that I show extreme
enthusiasm for, but for what you can do with the product, and the effects
that are produced.

Yeah, it's probably just a game of semantics...but it was just something
that crossed my mind this week, not a big deal either way.

jt

I disagree (that it is not a big deal). Your point is valid. I think most of
us are AFOBs (Adults Fond Of Building) more than AFOLs. We all grew up with
Lego and appreciate the products, but in the end, building, creating and
expressing ourselves are the reasons we chose this hobby/pastime/obsession.

Maybe that's just me...

KZ