 General / 28926
Re: Nearly 30 Years of Juniorization!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:20:54 GMT

ben medinets wrote:
(snip)

IMO, the early years (circa 1970-1979), there was a lot of sets not really
worth getting.  That is my own opinion...there are a couple of notable
exceptions, but I've seen some of the earlier models, even had an
old fire station from 1977???  but definitely didn't like the vehicles.
Printed fronts (this time on 1X4 pieces, small vehicles that could hold
any mini-figs.  Generally, not very useful (again My Opinion)
I think I have similiar thoughts to most of the other sets in this
time period.
I'm glad I started collecting it when I did (1984)...got to get some
pretty good sets 1984-1990 and some really very cool sets 1991-1995.

(snip)

At least the models after 1997 can carry mini-figs.  The ones from the
'70's couldn't.

Benjamin Medinets

OK Ben,  I have to disagree with you on this one, but it is definitely a case
of "one man's junk is another man's treasure".  I think that the 1970's did
have a lot of useless sets.  But I think that some of the 1970's sets have
never been exceeded in excellence.... such as the London Bus (384/760), the
entire 390's range of model builder sets (brilliant!) of which my favorite is
396 Thatcher Perkins, and don't forget the 398 U.S.S. Constellation.  Also I
like many of the town building sets, such as 355, 364, 365, 545, 555, 575,
585.  Minifigs (as we know them) didn't come out until 1978, at the end of the
70's.  So yes many of these are useless for minifigs, but they had a lot of
details that are just not put into Lego sets anymore (just look at 355, 364,
365).  And one other thing is that these sets all had 4 walls!  They don't
have 4 walled buildings anymore.  Another thing is that these buildings were
pretty much in the classic scale still, although that (UGLY) 1x3x4 door from
the 1970's was used in most of these sets when it replaced the classic 1x2x3
door during the minifig "stiff:" era (1974-77).

But if you use today's minifig standard as a benchmark, then many of these
70's sets would be useless.

Just my own opinion.  :-)

Gary Istok
(I never met a classic window I didn't like!)