 General / 28821
Re: Nearly 30 Years of Juniorization!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:53:49 GMT

ben medinets wrote:

I want to add my two cents in here.
1st off...the set in question uses standard 4X2 bricks, a steering wheel,
and the shovel assembly, some wheels.  Yes, it does have the style
of today's juniorization.

Um, according to my instructions, 378 has exactly one standard 2x4
brick. It also has a 1x2 brick, a 1x2 tile, a 2x2 brick, a printed 1x2
brick, 2 2x4 plates, a 1x1 cylinder, 2 4x8 plates, and a 2x8 plate for
"basic" bricks and plates.

IMO, the early years (circa 1970-1979), there was a lot of sets not really
worth getting.  That is my own opinion...there are a couple of notable
exceptions, but I've seen some of the earlier models, even had an
old fire station from 1977???  but definitely didn't like the vehicles.
Printed fronts (this time on 1X4 pieces, small vehicles that could hold
any mini-figs.  Generally, not very useful (again My Opinion)
I think I have similiar thoughts to most of the other sets in this
time period.

My point in all of this is that specialized parts (which cause some
people to label a set juniorized) have been with us for a long time. And
if you look at those 1980s sets, you will find parts which people call
SPUDs and POOPs and all that.

The big thing we have these days is that we have ONE theme (Town) which
primarily uses these pieces. All the other themes make some use of these
pieces, but generally build things up out of smaller pieces. True, they
don't use quite so many basic bricks as sets of old, but then, by not
using so many basic bricks, the sets look a lot less blocky.

I see a lot of folks complaining about the sets of today as not much
different from grandpa talking about the good old days.

Frank