 General / 28838
Re: Nearly 30 Years of Juniorization!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 01:31:03 GMT

ben medinets wrote:

I tried to take that into consideration in my post, but I don't think you
totally got that impression...
While there are some special pieces in several (well a lot of) town models,
my ultimate point was that within the period of 1980 and 1996, there were
fewer "special" pieces in the sets.

That is perhaps so, but again, my main point is that many people seem to
think that SPUDs and POOPs are something of the 90s. They aren't. Heck,
in some ways, SPUDs have been with LEGO since before the advent of the
tube. Windows and doors were provided with the early bricks. What use
does a window have other than a window? Ok, so you can find a few other
uses, but then I think just about every piece TLC has ever produced can
be used in at least a few creative ways other than its obvious intent.

I think the SPUD in the example case: the tractor is also a bad example...
because the scooper on it can be bought on several other models in the
town line and isn't unique to that model.

Sure the scooper is used in several sets, but I was pointing to the
trailer frame and the tractor frame. Now I happen to like the trailer
frame (and that was one of the pieces which attracted my attention to
the auction lot), but it is somewhat SPUDlike (no more so than many of
the current SPUDlike pieces which can be bent to various uses).

And your current argument that town being the worst violator of SPUDs and
Poops is very weak.  I think there are other themes of lego that are just
as guilty if not more guilty than town theme....

True. There are SPUDs in every theme. I have pointed out numerous times
that the Train theme would be incredibly boring without SPUDs. Ever
tried making train track which curves out of plain bricks anyone? Now
try running electric current through those bricks to have a remotely
controlled train.

But I disagree that Town is not basically the most juniorized, SPUDsed,
POOPed on theme. Yes, Belville and Scala are perhaps more so, but then
those themes are not aimed at the same sort of building as the primary
lines (Mickey Mouse is another theme which is worse than town, but that
clearly is aimed at younger children - and actually promotes more
creativity than Town, each set comes with extra bricks, no instructions,
but a picture book showing all sorts of possible creations). Life on
Mars? Less juniorized than Town. Star Wars? Less juniorized than Town.
Trains? Less juniorized than Town. Alpha Team? Less juniorized than
Town.

the only system that would be "innocent" in my opinion is the freestyle...
every other theme I think has POOPs or SPUDs.  Does this happen with
creativity...it might.  If you truly want to be creative anyways, why
not stick with freestyle anyways....

I'm not complaining about juniorization. Besides,
Freestyle/Basic/Classic seems to be dead.

Frank