 General / 25799
Re: New S@H Catalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 03:34:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Faunce writes:

"Kyle D. Jackson" <flightdeck@sympatico.deletethisspamblock.ca> wrote in
message news:G6Dr9K.B5y@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Christopher Masi writes:

Yeah, I would be nice if one did not have to give up the copyright for • one's
design. Additionally, I am guessing that this phrase is fairly standard, • but the
fine print says, "Winners assume all liability for any injury or damage • caused,
or claimed to be caused by participation in this promotion or use or • redemption
of any prize."

I find this phrase pretty funny.  You surrender all rights to
your design, yet you are still responsible for it for any
damages that may be incurred.  I wonder if that flies in court?
I assume it's to cover instances where someone submits a
ripped-off design.  When the original owner goes after TLC,
TLC can stand there and say, "heeey, we didn't steal it, this
contestant did, go after him".  Yet TLC now "owns" the design.

What would probably happen is that TLC would work it out with the original
owner and then send you the bill for the resulting costs (legal + licensing
that they worked out with the original owner) and then sue you for damages
and fraud if you didn't cough up the money.

Mike

    If lego did that to one of its loyal fans i would put all my legos on
the street, pour gasoline on it, lite it on fire, video tape it and send the
tape to lego and post the video on the web, if it did that.
kai

--
Mike Faunce
mike at faunce dot com