 General / 25789
Re: New S@H Catalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:19:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:
I received the January Shop at Home catalog today.  All of the new LoM sets
are shown as are the Mosaic and the new Dragon figure.

Probably the biggest news is the Train building contest.  Three age groups:
7-12, 13-17, 18+  The winners will have their designs document and published
by LEGO on lego.com plus receive $100 worth of LEGO product.

Hmm... tempting.

Na, 100 bucks isn't enough comp to lose the rights to one of my designs.

You miss the point.

1. It's an honor which is worth more than money can buy.

I'm not yet convinced it's an honor to have TLC turn my design into
something weird and unrecognisable... their track record points to that.

2. Maybe it's 100 bucks *at their price* for bricks.... (goes a looong way)

Previous practice with prizes has been at MSRP.

2. Here's a chance to design a set that has *great parts* in it--
think of it as an exercise in bulk management and a community service:-)

I think this is supposed to be point 3 rather than 2. I know you mac users
have trouble counting and stuff, but still. I haven't seen the catalog so I
can't say what the rules say but from what Mike said I don't see any
implication that the set is going to be released for purchase, just published.

So if I put neat and rare bricks in the design (fulfilling your suggestion
to do community service (perish the thought)) that by rights ought to win
(because it was submitted by me and therefore is superior to all the others)
either it won't win because the judges will choose some design with lots of
City Center pieces in it to justify their Jr. theories, or if it justly wins
despite containing good pieces, it will frustrate a lot of AFOLs who don't
have those pieces in their collections.

Looks like the Neals have all of the age categories covered, so look out for a
1-2-3 sweep;^D

I may have to win this just to shut you up, though.

++Lar