 General / 25771
Re: New S@H Catalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 06:21:00 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:
I received the January Shop at Home catalog today.  All of the new LoM sets
are shown as are the Mosaic and the new Dragon figure.

Probably the biggest news is the Train building contest.  Three age groups:
7-12, 13-17, 18+  The winners will have their designs document and published
by LEGO on lego.com plus receive $100 worth of LEGO product.

Hmm... tempting.

Na, 100 bucks isn't enough comp to lose the rights to one of my designs.

++Lar

Yeah, I would be nice if one did not have to give up the copyright for one's
design. Additionally, I am guessing that this phrase is fairly standard, but the
fine print says, "Winners assume all liability for any injury or damage caused,
or claimed to be caused by participation in this promotion or use or redemption
of any prize."

Also, while reading the fine print I stumbled across a phrase that amused me.
"LEGO® has the right to alter winning designs at its discretion in order to
create building instructions for the Grand Prize winning models, prior to
posting the instructions online." I wonder how much some of the designs we have
seen here would be altered before publication.

It almost sounds like a cheap way for LEGOÆ to get ideas for their train line,
which, actually, is not a bad thing.

Here is a strange idea. Enter the contest and reject the prize with a politely
worded letter saying that you are not willing to give up your copyrights, but
that you are willing give LEGO® a nonexclusive royalty free license for the
design. It would be quite a statement if all bunch of the winners declined the prize.

Christopher
--
PGP public key available upon request.