 General / 25766

Subject:
New S@H Catalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 04:47:11 GMT

I received the January Shop at Home catalog today.  All of the new LoM sets
are shown as are the Mosaic and the new Dragon figure.

Probably the biggest news is the Train building contest.  Three age groups:
7-12, 13-17, 18+  The winners will have their designs document and published
by LEGO on lego.com plus receive $100 worth of LEGO product.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com

Re: New S@H Catalog
I received the January Shop at Home catalog today.  All of the new LoM sets
are shown as are the Mosaic and the new Dragon figure.

Probably the biggest news is the Train building contest.  Three age groups:
7-12, 13-17, 18+  The winners will have their designs document and published
by LEGO on lego.com plus receive $100 worth of LEGO product.

Hmm... tempting.

Na, 100 bucks isn't enough comp to lose the rights to one of my designs.

++Lar

Re: New S@H Catalog
I received the January Shop at Home catalog today.  All of the new LoM sets
are shown as are the Mosaic and the new Dragon figure.

Probably the biggest news is the Train building contest.  Three age groups:
7-12, 13-17, 18+  The winners will have their designs document and published
by LEGO on lego.com plus receive $100 worth of LEGO product.

Hmm... tempting.

Na, 100 bucks isn't enough comp to lose the rights to one of my designs.

++Lar

Yeah, I would be nice if one did not have to give up the copyright for one's
design. Additionally, I am guessing that this phrase is fairly standard, but the
fine print says, "Winners assume all liability for any injury or damage caused,
or claimed to be caused by participation in this promotion or use or redemption
of any prize."

Also, while reading the fine print I stumbled across a phrase that amused me.
"LEGO® has the right to alter winning designs at its discretion in order to
create building instructions for the Grand Prize winning models, prior to
posting the instructions online." I wonder how much some of the designs we have
seen here would be altered before publication.

It almost sounds like a cheap way for LEGOÆ to get ideas for their train line,
which, actually, is not a bad thing.

Here is a strange idea. Enter the contest and reject the prize with a politely
worded letter saying that you are not willing to give up your copyrights, but
that you are willing give LEGO® a nonexclusive royalty free license for the
design. It would be quite a statement if all bunch of the winners declined the prize.

Christopher
--
PGP public key available upon request.

Re: New S@H Catalog
Well seing i am the only 12 year old who actually builds trains for shows, i
think i would have a good chance for the 7-12 age group.  I highly doubt
there are any 12 year olds out there that are as good as people here
including me !

In lugnet.general, Christopher Masi writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:
I received the January Shop at Home catalog today.  All of the new LoM sets
are shown as are the Mosaic and the new Dragon figure.

Probably the biggest news is the Train building contest.  Three age groups:
7-12, 13-17, 18+  The winners will have their designs document and published
by LEGO on lego.com plus receive $100 worth of LEGO product.

Hmm... tempting.

Na, 100 bucks isn't enough comp to lose the rights to one of my designs.

++Lar
Maybe we should start copywriting designs for our models so LEGO doesnt
snatch them up and gets rich off of our ideas when thier designers in
Denmark can even produce a peice of @$#%@$ to please a 12 year old who
enjoys modeling trains in lego.  Taking our ideas.. JUST HIRE US FOR THE
DISIGNER POSTITION DANGIT AND STOP WITH THE BULLCRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for listening to my bull
kai

[...]

lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 07:55:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Christopher Masi writes:

"Winners assume all liability for any injury or damage caused,
or claimed to be caused by participation in this promotion or
use or redemption of any prize."

Whew. Well for a sec there I thought I wouldn't be able to enter my "poke
your eye out with a sharp stick flatcar load"...

Also, while reading the fine print I stumbled across a phrase that amused me.
"LEGO® has the right to alter winning designs at its discretion in order to
create building instructions for the Grand Prize winning models, prior to
posting the instructions online." I wonder how much some of the designs
we have seen here would be altered before publication.

Based on what we've seen in the mania magazines, I suspect the answer would
be "potentially quite a bit".

++Lar

Re: New S@H Catalog
Or go the high road and make an "Operation Lifesaver" boxcar.
see: http://www.oli.org/

Anyway Larry, you just don't want to loose agaisnt me in the over 30 group!
;D

SteveB